Search within this web site:

 
you are here ::

Haiti, Population

Vodun, Vodou, official languages, Creole, African origin

About 95 percent of Haitians are of African origin. The remaining 5 percent are mulatto and other races. The mulatto population makes up about half of the countryís elite. French and Creole, which uses both French colonial and West African phrases and words, are the official languages, the latter attaining that status in 1987. The poorer class (about 90 percent of the population) speak Creole, while the elite speak modern French. About 80 percent of Haitiís people are nominal Roman Catholics, many of them combining an African animism called Vodou or Vodun (commonly spelled voodoo) into their religious beliefs and ceremonies.

deeper links ::


Article key phrases:

Vodun, Vodou, official languages, Creole, African origin, religious beliefs, races, ceremonies, words, half, status

 
 

Search within this web site: