Search within this web site:

 
you are here ::

Government, Legislature

universal suffrage, legislative bodies, trade unions, elections, equal footing

Under the 1996 constitution, Morocco’s legislature changed from a unicameral house to a bicameral one. The new legislature consists of a 325-member Chamber of Representatives and a 270-member Chamber of Advisers. Members of the Chamber of Representatives are directly elected by universal suffrage to five-year terms. Members of the Chamber of Advisers serve nine-year terms; 60 percent are indirectly elected by local councils, and the remaining 40 percent are selected by representatives of business associations and trade unions. The Chamber of Advisers may initiate legislation on equal footing with the Chamber of Representatives, but the former has the potential decisive advantage of being able to dissolve the government with a two-thirds majority vote. The first elections of these legislative bodies were held in November and December of 1997.



Article key phrases:

universal suffrage, legislative bodies, trade unions, elections, equal footing, constitution, local councils, percent, legislation, government, Members

 
 

Search within this web site: